British Forces Resettlement Services (BFRS) is a Social Enterprise created for the Armed Forces Community (AFC). Our overall purpose is to provide an all embracing, easy to access focal point where, in brief, the AFC and the commercial world can engage.
What Makes BFRS A Social Enterprise
The term ‘social enterprise’ came about from recognition that in the UK and across the world, there were organisations using the power of business to bring about social and environmental change without a single term to unite them.
BFRS provide services to tackle social problems, improve Armed Forces Communities (AFCs), people’s life chances. We make our money from selling services in the open market, then reinvest our profits back into the business local AFCs. So when we profit, society profits.
- has a clear social mission set out in their governing documents
- generates the majority of our income through trade
- reinvest the majority of our profits
- is an autonomous of state
- is a majority controlled in the interests of the social mission
- must be accountable and transparent
Defining Our Community
Membership is available as follows:
Armed Forces Community membership:
Serving members of HM Forces, Reservists, veterans, civilian
MOD employees, as well as partners and families.
Organisations that have a Corporate Package (Supporter, Partner,
Recruiter, Sponsor, Associate, Exhibitor, Advisor).
- are employed by us under a
contract of employment which has either no fixed term or a fixed term of
at least 12 months;
Who have been continuously
employed by us for at least 12 months;
Who are not employed by us
but who nevertheless exercise functions for the purposes of our
organisation and who have exercised functions for this purpose for a
continuous period of at least 12 months
The Defence Employer Recognition Scheme
The Defence Employer Recognition Scheme (ERS) encourages employers to support defence and inspire others to do the same. The scheme encompasses bronze, silver and gold awards for employer organisations that pledge, demonstrate or advocate support to defence and the armed forces community, and align their values with the Armed Forces Covenant.
Bronze award holders:
- are self nominated by employers who pledge to support the armed forces, including existing or prospective employees who are members of the community
- promote being armed forces-friendly and are open to employing reservists, armed forces veterans (including the wounded, injured and sick), cadet instructors and military spouses/partners
- receive an electronic certificate and logos to display on their website, stationery and other collateral
A Bit About What We Do