British Forces Resettlement Services

Forces Families

British Forces Resettlement Services wants to bring Service families together - whether you are a spouse, mother, daughter, father or son to an ex-/Serving person, you can talk to others who also have family members in the Military. Whether the Forces member who's close to you is serving at home or overseas on operations, you can talk to people in similar situations by simply searching the BFRS site to find other members in your area.

If you have any concerns with the transition process from Military to Civilian life and how it will affect your family there are a number of organisations you can contact. All of the organisations below are confidential and will help in any way they can. They are there to give you free guidance on a range of issues including housing, education and financial advice.

Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Families Association – Forces Help (SSAFA-FH)

SSAFA-FH is a national charity helping Serving and former Service personnel and their families in times of need. It is committed to helping people in need, suffering or in distress, regardless of age or condition. SSAFA-FH is committed to helping anyone who has served just one paid day in our Armed Forces, including the Reserves and those who did National Service, and their dependants, including their husbands, wives, partners, civil partners, children, widows or widowers. It offers practical as well as financial support and housing advice.

Children’s Education Advisory Service (CEAS)

Gives free guidance to families on schools, special educational needs and MoD educational allowances.


The Hive information centres give free help and information, and signpost you to professional agencies. Their core function is the provision of information – from bus timetables to "confidential welfare signposting". This means that although Hive may be unable to solve all of your problems, Hive information officers can point you towards the best sources of advice and assistance across both Military and Civilian organisations.  

Royal Naval Benevolent Trust (RNBT), Army Benevolent Fund (Soldiers Charity) and Royal Air Force Benevolent Fund (RAFBF)

The Benevolent Funds provide support to all members of the Armed Forces families in need. If you have ever served, or are an immediate dependant of someone who has, you may be eligible for assistance. Grants, loans and advice are available for a broad range of help; including mobility aids and specialist equipment for the sick and disabled, help with housing and accommodation, assistance in accessing and funding care as well as individual grants to relieve specific financial needs.