Medical Discharge - MoneyForce

Date: Monday June 10, 2019 at 12:49pm

If you are medically discharged from the Services, you will be entitled to a Resettlement package, Enhanced Learning Credits, and maybe a pension and/or further compensation. 

What you get depends on your length of service, the seriousness of your injury, which pension scheme you are in, whether your injury was attributable to service or not and when your injury occurred. Read on to find out what applies to you.

The resettlement packages:

All personnel subject to Medical Discharge (MD), whether you are Wounded, Injured and Sick (WIS), or discharged from the Services on medical grounds, can access resettlement entitlements at an earlier stage than other Service leavers.

There is one resettlement policy process that applies to all personnel who are subject to Medical Discharge.

There are different levels of support and timing of access is dependent upon the level of need of the individual, and Royal Navy, Army and Royal Air Force as procedures are different for each Service.

Your resettlement needs under Medical Discharge are taken care of either under the standard Career Transition Partnership (CTP) route, or the Recovery Career Services (RCS) route. RCS offers an individualised, needs-based approach to resettlement for those who require extra assistance. The route you will follow is determined according to your medical condition/prognosis and individual needs.

Regardless of the route followed, you are entitled to:

  • Graduated Resettlement Time (GRT) – flexible duty time which you can use to complete resettlement activities.
  • Career Transition support – you will be entitled to the Full Resettlement Programme (FRP). 
  • An Individual Resettlement Training Costs (IRTC) Grant 
  • Travel warrants or travel claims in lieu to support access to resettlement activities.
  • Subsistence allowances to support the cost of non-military food and accommodation when attending some resettlement activities (when authorised).

If you have an Individual Recovery Plan (IRP) you can also get earlier access to Enhanced Learning Credits (ELC) where this has been identified as suitable.

Post discharge resettlement and transferred resettlement

 If your medical condition prevents you from using your resettlement support before you leave the Services, you will be able to use this support for up to two years after discharge. 

As you will have left the Services, you will be responsible for your own personal injury/liability/indemnity insurance when taking part in resettlement activities after discharge. 

In exceptional cases where your medical condition stops you taking advantage of the resettlement service, all elements of your resettlement support can be made available to your spouse, civil partner or Nominated Proxy for up to two years after discharge, subject to an application being made through your SRA. 

Also if your death, illness or injury is caused wholly or predominantly by Service, your ELC credits can be transferred to your spouse or eligible partner provided you have registered as a member of the ELC scheme. 


» There aren't any comments for this post yet. Why not be the first to comment?

Leave a Comment

Your Name  
Email Address  
(kept hidden)
So that we can check that you are a real person (and not a crafty computer), please answer the simple sum below:  
What is 20 - 11 ? Your Answer