Date: Thursday September 5, 2019 at 4:04pm
Looking for a
quick and easy dessert to make? Take a look at Lee Mahoney’s recipe below…
75g Icing sugar
- 4 Egg whites
- 110g Caster sugar
- 425ml Double cream
- 450g Mixed strawberries, raspberries and blackberries
- 1 Sheet of greaseproof paper
- 50ml Kirsch liqueur
- 6 Balls vanilla
- 6 Large fluted glasses
Step by Step:
Pre-heat the oven at 140°C/Gas Mark 1. Sift the icing
sugar into a bowl then in another clean bowl whisk the egg whites on high speed
until they have increased in volume and started to stiffen.
- Cut the strawberries into bite size pieces and soak
in the Kirsch for about 1 hour.
- Whilst whisking slowly add the caster sugar and
continue to whisk until you reach a stiff peak stage. Turn off the machine and
using a metal spoon, vigorously beat the icing sugar until the mixture is
- Spoon the meringue onto the centre of the lined baking
tray and using a knife spread it out into a circle about 30cm in diameter and
2cm thick. Place the meringue into the oven and bake for 1 ½ hours. Remove from
the oven and allow to cool.
- Put the ice cream into the glasses and place in the
- Whip the cream until it just holds, adding one tsp
of icing sugar. Put strawberries and berries in the cream and gently mix
through, pour the cream over the fruit and fold together gently.
- Break the meringue using a knife into chunks, fold
this through the fruit and cream mixture and serve in the 6 large fluted